Getting a gift for a couple is different than getting a gift for just one person. If you give a gift you know only one of the two will enjoy, the best case scenario is the couple knows which one you favor and while that may not be a shocker, the worst case scenario is that the couple feels hurt you made it obvious. The reason you’re getting the gift matters, of course, but you can’t just slap both members’ names on the card and call it good. If you’re getting a gift for two, both will need to be considered when you’re picking the gift.
We reviewed dozens of gifts for couples to identify the best of the best. We looked for the gifts you could give a new couple or an established one. We found funny gifts and sweet gifts; romantic and practical. No matter what stage the couple for whom you’re buying is at in life, we have a gift that will work for them.
If you want to give the gift of understanding to a couple, consider the The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts.
Because relationships are hard (even when they’re solid and life-long), any tool in that couple’s belt to make it a little bit easier is a good investment. A book like The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts can help a couple minimize those more trying times in their life together by cluing them into each other in ways they may have never considered.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Gifts for Couples
|Best Overall||The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts||4.8|
|Runner Up||Willow Tree hand-painted sculpted figure||4.9|
|Best Budget Buy||Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples||4.5|
|Best His and Hers Gift||Luxor Linens Egyptian Cotton Waffle Weave Robe with His/Hers Couple's Embroidery||4.3|
|Best Funny Gift for Couples||I Like His Beard, I Like Her Butt Couples Funny Coffee Mug Set||4.8|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts describes the way a person loves as if it’s a language. This book depicts the problem with love is that it’s not just a language, but several. You may “speak” your love language (or express love to your partner) in one way, but they speak it another. Before reading this book, you may think that everyone loves the same way; but it definitely isn’t the case. Sometimes we express our love with physical affection, but your partner feels more loved when you verbally praise him – without understanding what language your partner speaks this can start a lot of unnecessary fights. There are five different languages and although they have some overlap, speaking different languages, you’ll see, is pretty straining on a relationship.
Even if only one member of the couple reads this book, it will give them such an important clue into the other person’s mind and make them better able to cope with their relationship. In fact, it may even help if one partner explains the whole theory to the other. Either way, after you give the book, your job is done. Don’t be too pushy with this gift, it’s as far as you can go without being presumptuous about their relationship. You may even want to give it with a note of how interesting you found it, or how helpful in your own relationships so they don’t think you’re worried about their relationship.
Say what you will about this book, but you can’t deny how many people it’s helped. Books generally receive a bit higher ratings than other Amazon products, but this book is particularly impressive even by those standards. Close to 15,000 people came back to give this book an overall rating of 4.8 stars.
The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts Key Features:
- Test to determine each partner’s language
- 208 pages
- Available in Hardcover, paperback, Audio CD, Audible, and Kindle
Our Runner Up Pick: Willow Tree hand-painted sculpted figure
For a sentimental gift for a couple take a good look at the Willow Tree hand-painted sculpted figure.
The Willow Tree hand-painted sculpted figure is basically a must-have for any couple. It may seem like this gift lacks excitement but for many, it’s a rite of passage to signify their relationship is on par with the relationships they admire; that it’s real and that their other half is the one for them. While that may not always be true, for a lot of people, this statue serves as a beautiful and subtle reminder, on even their worst days, that their partner and they are loved forever.
The reason this brand and style of statue is so popular is because they’re so well made and so universal. You can pick the couple you’re giving to them, and several are listed with this statue. They’re faceless and, combined with the few hair differences, they can be easily representative of whom you give them. They’re each a resin cast copy of the original wood, hand carving made by artist Susan Lordi so their creativity is classic.
These statues are well-loved and their ratings are definitely an indication of that. There are well over 2,000 customer reviews on Amazon for this batch of statues (couples themed), and they have an overall rating of 4.9 stars!
Willow Tree hand-painted sculpted figure Key Features:
- 9″H resin statue
- Sentiment: ”Hold dear the promise of love” written on Enclosure Card
- 5 couple statue choices available
Best Budget Pick: Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples
If you’re looking for a gift for a couple (or more than one couple) but don’t want to break the bank, consider Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples.
Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples lets a couple create a tangible list of places they want to see together in their lives, or events they want to attend, even activities they want to accomplish. So if the couple hopes to one day climb Kilimanjaro, they can put it in this book to make sure they keep it in mind, at the very least. The written reminder may keep them actively pursuing their goals and, should they find real life gets in the way of a few more unrealistic goals, they can always look back and have a chuckle.
Your couple will also love this particular bucket list journal because each entry gives space to write about actually achieving the goal. Even better than the ability to detail their exploits, the couple even has a space to write a brief plan of how they make it happen. If they need to save up a specific amount of money, or achieve certain fitness goals to be able to accomplish the bucket list item, this is the perfect opportunity to see just how difficult or easy the list is getting.
Yes, this is a handy gift for any couple and yes, it has a very respectable overall rating of 4.5 stars on Amazon. But the real selling point – and we think you’ll agree – is that it’s only $6.99. At $7 a pop, you can give this for every couple you give gifts to and still have some cash for your own Our Bucket List book.
Our Bucket List: A Creative and Inspirational Journal for Ideas and Adventures for Couples Key Features:
- 82 pages
- Full page for each list item
- Prompts to tell the why and how, as well as a place to tell the story of how it happened
Best His and Hers Gift Pick: Luxor Linens Egyptian Cotton Waffle Weave Robe with His/Hers Couple’s Embroidery
For a gift that will look good and make each person in the couple feel comfortable and relaxed, try the Luxor Linens Egyptian Cotton Waffle Weave Robe set.
The Luxor Linens Egyptian Cotton Waffle Weave Robe with His/Hers Couple’s Embroidery is a wonderful gift to make sure both members of the couple have a little bit of luxury and gives them a tangible representation of them as a couple. The robes are 100% Egyptian cotton and are a plush waffle print to help them relax the very second they put them on.
Because they’re a simple white, with no print and no frills, they won’t have any indication which robe is “His” and which is “Hers” – save the label on the left chest, which is entirely up to your custom request. You can print up to 10 letters in a script font to make sure they’re putting on the right robe. And since they come in one size fits most, there’s a good chance that otherwise, they’d mix the two up.
There are over 200 customer reviews on Amazon for these his and hers robes, which means they’ve more than earned their 4.3 stars and that the rating is one in which you can have confidence.
Luxor Linens Egyptian Cotton Waffle Weave Robe with His/Hers Couple’s Embroidery Key Features:
- Waffle weave, 100% Egyptian cotton
- 2 matching robes, monogrammed
- One sized fits most
Best Funny Gift for Couples Pick: I Like His Beard, I Like Her Butt Couples Funny Coffee Mug Set
For a couple gift that will give them both a laugh each morning, the I Like His Beard, I Like Her Butt Couples Funny Coffee Mug Set could just be the gift you need.
The I Like His Beard, I Like Her Butt Couples Funny Coffee Mug Set may be pretty specific for a bearded man who loves his lady’s tushy, but considering how many women love the 5 o’clock shadow or a few days of no shaving over the weekend, we feel like this nails it for a pretty broad range of couples.
The phrase on each coffee mug is on both sides, so everyone will see it, no matter what hand they use to raise the cup to their mouth. Each of the two mugs will hold 11 ounces of the couple’s coffee or tea, depending on the preference, of course. And that’s definitely a good start to any morning’s caffeine requirements.
This may be a more comedic gift, but the reality is that the customer reviews on this coffee mug set are no laughing matter. With well over 300 reviews on Amazon, the rating is still an impressive 4.8 stars. And while that will put a smile on your face, it’s certainly no joke!
I Like His Beard, I Like Her Butt Couples Funny Coffee Mug Set Key Features:
- Made with premium ceramic
- 2 – 11 ounce coffee mugs
- Dishwasher and microwave safe
Who Should Buy a Gift for Couples
A wedding, of course, merits the giving of a couple gift. Depending on how close you are to a couple, you may even need to get them (and other couples) “couple gifts” a few times a year. Anniversaries, holidays, even birthdays can justify purchasing a gift for a couple. A housewarming gift will need to be given in the event of a housewarming party although that does generally come with a specific type of gift. For that occasion you may want to get a decor or practical gift, but a gift of entertainment or fun will never go unappreciated. You can’t always bring a bottle of wine for every occasion.
Of course, if you opt to get a gift for a couple, that means you don’t have to buy two separate gifts. For the holiday or their birthdays (if they’re close enough together), that’s a pretty big savings over the course of your relationship. That does mean you may have to consider adjusting your budget a bit to get as gift both of them will like, but there’s a fair to decent chance that couple gifts will save you money. As long as you know the couple well enough and they have enough shared interests to both like the same gift, it almost seems like pushing the easy button on gift giving. At the very least, it’s a shortcut and you’re sure to love that.
If you want to give the gift of understanding to a couple, consider the The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts.
Important Features to Consider
A gift for couples should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a gifts for couples:
- Advice without the judgement. Sometimes when you’re a part of a long-term couple yourself, giving a couple gift has a fine line between advice and judgement. A book for the couple to read to better understand each other could be a wonderful gift! If you know the couple has been fighting a lot, though, that particular Christmas may not be the best time to give it. A game that provides prompt questions that can help the couple understand each other better is a great idea – unless, maybe, they’ve known each other their whole lives. If you’re ever unsure if you’ll be able to give a gift without it seeming a tad patronizing, or ignorant of the couple, pass on the advice. That’s what they have mother in laws for, after all.
- Don’t go there. It may be tempting, but you should keep away from gifts of a sexual nature. Unless you have a very specific relationship with the couple, don’t buy sex games, or toys, or lingerie. In fact, even if you think you do have that kind of relationship, you probably don’t. They may joke and tease with you about all manners of topics, but you’re not in their bedroom, so you probably shouldn’t try to influence any actions that happen there. Not only will it be awkward, but there’s a very good chance the money you spend on the gift will be wasted. Imagine yourselves in their shoes; would you want to use a sex book that your aunt gave you, knowing that what you’re learning is because of your aunt?
- Romantic. Unlike sex, the romance in a relationship is typically pretty well received for couple gifts. That means you can find a gift that relies on their love and relationship to be a good one. If one of the couple works away from home for extended periods of time, maybe a long distance romantic gift to remind them of their love will help keep them close. You can use their anniversary date to engrave or etch on a practical gift to change a standard gift into a more personalized one or find a star map from the night they were married.
- The rest of your life is a long time. How are they supposed to know what to do with each other for all of eternity? Giving a couple ideas for dates or adventures may just be the most appreciated and well-used gift they ever receive. Couples who get married young are especially prone to bouts of boredom and, short of buying their annual subscription to Netflix, the best gift you can give them to keep them from also getting bored with each other is probably the gift of ideas. Keeping the marriage fresh will be all the easier if they’re having a good time with each other. A book with date ideas or a journal with prompts for a bucket list for vacations is a great idea that is sure to get used often.
- Registry. Registry. Registry! We have some really wonderful ideas on our list for if your couple friends and family don’t have a registry for whatever the cause of your gift. That means if they’re getting married with a registry, just get them something off their registry. Even if you know it’s a mistake and they won’t use it – if they ask for it, that’s what they want. And going through an entire wedding without getting any registry items is just depressing. Everyone has that relative or friend who thinks they know better than the bride and groom, but you do not want to be that. You should veer off the registry only if you also get something from the registry, too. Registries may be primarily for a wedding, but sometimes the couple will have a standing wish list on Amazon, so you may be well-served asking them if they can share the link.
- Consider other expenses. If you’re buying for a wedding, you will very likely adjust your gift budget for other wedding-related costs. That’s expected and appropriate! That is to say, if it’s a destination wedding and you’re the maid of honor, who has already bought her own dress and airfare and hosted the bachelorette party, you’ve probably already spent a fortune on the wedding and as such, you can spend a bit less on the wedding gift. Ball park it to somewhere what you would spend on any other wedding, if the couple weren’t your best friends. Alternately, if they’re having a local wedding where you don’t even need to buy new clothes, you can think of the money you’re saving on travel and wardrobe and add that into your gift budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should you spend on a gift for a couple?
How much you spend on a couple is absolutely dependent on the occasion and how well you know the couple. Your best friend’s wedding merits a larger expense than, say, a couple hosting your friend’s Holiday party. Generally, for any wedding, you are expected to spend at least $50, if financially feasible. If you’re closer to the couple, or they’re family, then a good estimate of cost would be around $100-$150. If it’s your best friend and you’re not spending a huge amount on the other wedding related festivities, go for one of the bigger registry items. Just don’t let the celebration of your friends’ marriage break you.
For other occasions, one rule of thumb is that, for a close friend, you should spend equal to a typical night out for you. So, if you usually just go see a movie and grab a drink, $25-$30 would probably be fine. If, however, you often hit a high scale dinner and concert, then you will probably want to spend a bit more. If those types of evenings are already in your budget, then that’s probably going to be the best price range for your couple friends, as well.
What do you get a couple that travels a lot?
If the couple you love is a travelling couple, consider a gift that supports their lifestyle. You’ll want to think of gifts that can make travel a bit more comfortable or enjoyable. A nice set of luggage is an excellent idea, but that tends to add up fast, so maybe just one piece of high quality luggage. Once upon a time, a camera was the perfect gift for a traveler, but these days, most phones have a high quality cameras on them that makes it easier to just leave the camera at home. Maybe they need a new and compact set of headphones or universal phone charger, or power adapters. You can also look into a neck pillow or a journal for them to keep notes of memories made while traveling. Luggage tags are a great inexpensive option, but keep in mind that monogramming them is a hit or miss addition that you may not want to bother with having done; some people just dread the monogrammed everything.
You can also look into travel organization gifts, to make packing and unpacking easier for them. That may mean travel bag cubes or shoe bags. You could look into some theft resistant travel items, like a scarf that has a pocket in it to keep their money secret. A durable passport wallet is a nice touch, as is anything that will allow your couple friends to just open the luggage and unpack in a breeze – like a hanging and collapsible organizer.
What is a good gift for a wedding?
The best gift for a couple that’s getting married will be on their registry. They’ve done a lot of work to prepare for the wedding, don’t disregard the registry, no matter how sure you are that you’re getting them something they’ll love. You can buy a better gift than what they have on the registry – it is possible. But a pretty specific set of circumstances has to occur for you to have success. You have to have a relationship with the person that ensures they won’t be offended by you coloring outside their pre-drawn lines. If they really are just woefully ignorant and they’re comfortable in that fact, that’s one such example of venturing away from the registry with success. If you take a look at their registry and find only a handful of items and they’re not super great options in your opinion, then you may also be justified.
There are a few cliches that you’ll probably want to steer clear of (without explicitly being told they want them): plain picture frames and cookware. Not only could you be messing with their decor plan, there’s a very good chance several other people will be giving them to the couple. (Much to their dismay).
How do you choose a gift for a couple?
Did we mention the registry? If the registry isn’t an option, then you’ll need to choose a gift based on one of two things: How well you know the couple and how well you know marriage. If you’ve been married years and years, you don’t necessarily need to know the couple well to get a gift that proves useful. Either a gift about marriage in general (like a book, or a practical item that you know all couples need) or a fun gift that will help the couple live an adventurous life together could work. Being single won’t keep you from choosing a good gift, either, though. You can use your knowledge of the couple to find a gift that is related to a favorite activity of the couple and still nail it.
And, as grandma always says, “Green looks good on everyone.” Cold, hard, cash is always an appreciated gift, but it is impersonal, so keep that in mind, too. Barring the idea of a personal gift, a marriage-related gift, or money, there’s always the universally loved gift option. If that’s your chosen tactic, we definitely have you covered here.
Other Gifts for Couples We Reviewed
If you want to give the gift of understanding to a couple, consider the The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts.
We looked at 20 other couple gift ideas. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best gifts for couples list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for a couple. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Adventurous Gift Ideas for Couples
- Game Gift Ideas for Couples
- Practical or Funny Gift Ideas for Couples
Adventurous Gifts for Couples
When a couple is married forever, they’re going to need ideas and with this book, you’ll be able to help them with that.
- Kindle or paperback available
- 265 pages
- Free with Kindle Unlimited
Cost: $10 (Or less!)
There are ten Illumination questions that will prompt the couple to get to know each other better (or just celebrate how well they already know each other).
- 15 Tangram puzzles and 2 ways to play
- Perfect for date night in (no babysitters needed!)
- Includes kiss tokens, breath mints, soy candle tin, and bag
Getting a couple to write each other when they’re located near each other may be tricky, but for the times they’re apart or feeling particularly sentimental, this can help them store their memories.
- 10 Prompts for letter topics
- Hard cover
- 12 pages for your letters
Whether they’re picnic people or not, having a means to take a picnic is a couple staple – and you’ll be forever remembered when they finally do get out for one.
- Includes dinner setting for 2
- Backpack is insulated to keep food chilled
- Waterproof backed blanket secured to side
While this is particularly convenient for the travelling couple, even those who travel rarely will still make good use of these organizers.
- 4 packing cubes in 4 sizes included
- Each cube is 4″ deep
- Bonus laundry bag included
This activity book works for waiting rooms, road trips – even the labor and delivery room! Any time a couple has to sit still with each other, this is a big boredom reliever.
- Paperback format
- 124 pages
- Games, puzzles, quizzes, questionnaires, and more!
Game Gifts for Couples
This will get a couple talking, flirting, and a bit more – but it allows them to choose what type every step of the way.
- 3 play modes: Talk, Flirt, and Dare decks
- No complicated rules – pick a card, follow prompt.
- Talk and flirt perfect for couple’s road trip; dare perfect for arrival at destination
While you may not want to advertise the title of the listing “therapy board game” – it luckily doesn’t read that on the book covers, so they’ll be playing a couple game to help their marriage while just enjoying their time.
- “Game” through relationship struggles
- 2 paperback books included
- 4 week game duration
No writing prompts or actions needed with this conversation starting set – just perfect for the couple that’s been together a while and would love to talk about some wonderful memories – and the potential for new moments!
- 100 question cards
- 30-90 minute game play
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
For the couple who loves to laugh almost as much as they love each other, this game will have them in stitches.
- 240 question cards
- For 2 – 4 couples
- Perfect for couples game night
These questions will prompt conversation that will offer a variety of relationship healing and plain, old, good laughter.
- 135 cards included
- 21 and up recommended age
- Durable plastic box case to protect cards
This game works for the couple who has been together for decades or for just a few months – it will dig deep and allow them to discover things about each other to better help their relationship and understanding.
- Board game reminiscent to “Life”
- Answer questions while competing finish the game first
- 100% money back guarantee
Because these questions will begin conversations a couple may never have considered, this will work as a gift for anyone – regardless of duration of relationship, orientation, or relationship stability.
- Meant for couples; will work for groups also
- 200 cards
- Recommended age 5 and up (So G rated questions)
Practical or Funny Couple Gifts
This is a good alternative to wedding rings for the couple that is committed but not married.
- Puzzle heart engraved on each ring – black on one, cubic zirconia on other
- Stainless steel rings, nylon rope
- Rings are size 10 and 7
This will be a funny gift, but also very interesting to see who claims which pillow.
- 2 pillow cases included
- 4 couple designs available
- Cotton/polyester blend
If your couple is one that enjoys an alcoholic beverage from time to time, then a glass for each may be a perfect gift.
- 12.75 oz wine glass, 16 oz beer glass
- 6 configuration options
- Dishwasher safe
This pad will let the couple give each other little notes to build each other up, using prompts to help them do so.
- 6″W x 9″H
- 60 sheets
- 12 other notepad options
This is a heavy and durably made cutting board that doubles as gorgeous decoration should they choose to display it, as well.
- 3 sizes available
- 2 wood types available
- Name and date customization
Maybe not the most practical gift, but this is a luxury gift that is sure to make the couple feel high-class.
- 6 oz capacity
- Set of 2
- Hand-blown borosilicate glass
While this may be playing into a stereotype that doesn’t hold true, if you know the couple fights over the covers, this is a funny gift that may also prove to be pretty practical.
- Includes duvet cover and 2 pillow shams
- 5 style options
- Zipper design for easy machine washing