Fifteen is a difficult age for boys and girls alike, and giving gifts for people who are just starting to find out who they are and what they really like is inevitably tricky. There are plenty of stereotypes of their respective genders that are nice to fall back on – teenage girls love their cell phones, teenage boys love food – and gift cards are always loved. But if you want to stray away from the expected, you may need a bit of guidance. If that’s the case, don’t worry, we have you covered.
We reviewed dozens of gift ideas for a 15 year old boy to identify the best of the best. We found tech gifts and toys that are “mature” enough that even a teen who thinks he’s grown-up will love. We picked out books that will interest your 15 year old and games that he can play with his friends. No matter what interests the 15 year old boy, we have something for him.
Pretty early in our search we stumbled upon the Marvel Encyclopedia and as we continued, it just kept coming up as a gift that a 15 year old would love; so it was the obvious choice for our top pick. With it’s high quality cover and print, it’s a durable book that will withstand the wear and tear of a teen and the knowledge within will answer any questions he could have about the Marvel universe.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
|Best Overall||Marvel Encyclopedia||4.8|
|Runner Up||Blokus Strategy Game||4.7|
|Best Budget Buy||Lamicall Cell Phone Stand, Phone Dock||4.8|
|Best Tech Gift for 15 Year Old Boys||Cambridge Sound Works OontZ Angle 3 (3rd Gen) - Bluetooth Portable Speaker||4.3|
|Best Game for 15 Year Old Boys||Lightning Reaction Reloaded - Shocking Game||4.3|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: Marvel Encyclopedia
With the overwhelming success of the Marvel movies, there’s a statistically likely chance that your 15 year old boy likes Marvel comic characters. If you think he may want to go a bit further in his exploration of this world, or to have a reference for his own understanding of the Marvel Universe, the Marvel Encyclopedia is just the gift for him.
And, because comics are still being published every day, you may want to check out the New Edition with an introduction by the late, great Stan Lee. If you don’t want to pay the steeper price tag, though, don’t stress it too much; a new one comes out every few years and the changes aren’t too drastic, really.
This is a pretty thorough look into a wildly popular genre, so it will probably come as no surprise that the reviews on Amazon are so favorable. It has a still impressive overall rating of 4.8 stars with nearly 1,000 customer reviews.
Marvel Encyclopedia Key Features:
- Hardcover format edition
- 432 pages
- Profiles over 1,200 Marvel characters
Our Runner Up Pick: Blokus Strategy Game
The Blokus Strategy Game is meant to be played with friends and family, so this is a great gift for the teenager who’s parents are struggling to maintain family time. Because it will test his strategy, though, it’s going to challenge him enough that it should keep him from getting bored. And, if you find him struggling, you can adjust the difficulty to build his confidence. If he has younger siblings, he may even use this as a way to establish a superiority over them. And while this isn’t exactly wonderful for the parent to behold, let’s be honest – the pendulum swings. Sometimes he’ll come on top, sometimes the baby of the family does.
The game itself doesn’t have a long play time, so even those with attention concerns may still stay focused for the 30 minutes of playing. And with a pretty easy instruction, the game boasts he’ll be able to pick up the how-to in under a minute.
With over 2,500 customer reviews on Amazon, you can definitely trust the rating as true to life and considering that overall rating is 4.7 stars, we think you’ll be adequately tempted. You will probably even be convinced, like we are, that if ever there were a game to lure a teenage boy to play with his family, this is it.
Blokus Strategy Game Key Features:
- 21 game pieces for each player
- 2-4 players
- 5 Blokus versions available
Best Budget Pick: Lamicall Cell Phone Stand, Phone Dock
The Lamicall Cell Phone Stand, Phone Dock will prop a phone up and make it easier to watch or read hands-free. It even has a well-placed hole for the charging cable to fit neatly through making the phone usable, even while charging. It’s compatible with a variety of phones, both android and iPhones – as long as they’re between four to eight inches, they should fit securely into this stand. The rubber cushions on the hook will keep the phone from sliding and should it be bumped, protected, as well.
In case you’re worried they may not have a cell phone or that their use may be limited, keep in mind that the average age for a child to get their first smart phone is 10 years old. So by 15, your teen will be well versed in his cell phone. At his age, you’ll just be looking into ways to keep him from hurting himself by getting a cramp or dropping his phone on his face. If the parents of the 15 year old maintain strict rules for the phone, then he may not really run this risk, but if he’s like the, we dare say, majority of 15 year olds, his phone is never far from his hands. If there’s a way to maintain his eye sight without needing to balance it while he’s doing homework or eating or the dishes or whatever other thing he shouldn’t be using his phone for, then we’re betting he’ll appreciate it.
There are over 11,000 customer reviews on Amazon for this phone stand and considering how high the overall rating is (4.8 stars), you’d think those would be the numbers by which you’ll be most impressed. But you would be wrong. You can get this gift that may as well be made for a teen boy, for under $10!
Lamicall Cell Phone Stand, Phone Dock Key Features:
- Made with aluminum alloy and rubber cushioned hooks
- 5 color options
- Anti-skid feet to prevent sliding
Best Tech Gift for 15 Year Old Boys Pick: Cambridge Sound Works OontZ Angle 3 (3rd Gen) – Bluetooth Portable Speaker
The Cambridge Sound Works OontZ Angle 3 (3rd Gen) – Bluetooth Portable Speaker is a great gift for the teen boy who spends time outside. If he plays sports, for example, or likes to hike, then he can greatly benefit from the use of a speaker. He can’t always carry his phone or a radio; for an active lifestyle it simply isn’t feasible. But that doesn’t mean he needs to do without the songs he loves. With this particular speaker, he’ll even be able to take it on long trips because the battery life is up to fourteen hours.
While he may usually use his headphones to listen to music, giving him a Speaker that will get those ear buds out of his ears can’t be a bad thing. After all, if he spends all day every day with a headset or ear buds, then he is isolating himself from the world. As a teenage boy, that’s probably pretty tempting for him, but it isn’t great to ignore everything going on around you all the time. He may not be listening to music his parents love, but I bet they’ll love that he actually can hear them when they call him to dinner.
There are right around 35,000 customer reviews on Amazon for this speaker and it has an overall rating of 4.3 stars. That means 85% of customers came back to give it a positive review and with numbers that high, there are roughly 30,000 people singing its praises.
Cambridge Sound Works OontZ Angle 3 (3rd Gen) – Bluetooth Portable Speaker Key Features:
- Water resistant
- 100 ft Bluetooth range
- 5 color options
Best Game for 15 Year Old Boys Pick: Lightning Reaction Reloaded – Shocking Game
The Lightning Reaction Reloaded – Shocking Game is perfect for a boy who loves to compete and enjoys a slight electric shock as motivation. Your teen will test his reflexes against 1-3 additional players by pushing the button as soon as prompted. There are 4 handles that will engage when removed from the base and once the game is turned on, the red light in the center will flash and suspenseful music will play. Once the light turns green and the music stops, each player must press a button on his handle. The last person to press the button gets shocked.
There are three levels of shock intensity, so he’ll be able to adjust it accordingly and even the highest setting is not enough to cause any damage. So while he’ll be shocked, you won’t need to worry about him. This will likely be hours of fun for him and his friends or siblings, but bear in mind that it’s not meant for children under fourteen, so issue that warning to his younger siblings, if need be.
With an overall rating of 4.3 stars on Amazon and right around 1,600 customer reviews, there’s every reason to believe that giving this gift will make you the star gift giver for years to come.
Lightning Reaction Reloaded – Shocking Game Key Features:
- Variable shock control
- Recommended age 14 years and up
- 3 AAA batteries required (not included)
Who Should Buy a Gift for a 15 Year Old Boy
If you have a 15 year old boy in your life, there’s a good chance you’ll be buying him a gift at some point. Holidays and birthdays happen every year and there’s a good chance you buy for one or more of these occasions. Rites of passage start happening a little earlier than fifteen, but there are plenty that happen around then, too. Catholic confirmation is around fifteen these days, and you may need to give something for the select; but not just Catholicism – most religions and cultures have some sort of coming of age celebration. While these rites of passages may require a religious themed gift, certainly not all. While not as popular as a Quinceañero, a Quince Años celebration does happen for a lot of Hispanic boys, too. Birthdays, holidays, rites of passage, there are plenty of reasons you could need to give to a 15 year old boy.
Should you not have a 15 year old boy in your life, let’s be honest, you probably will at some point. Your children or your friend’s children; maybe your siblings or cousins. Roughly half the world’s population is male and at some point they’re 15 – For a whole year, too. Particularly if you plan ahead, keep in mind that your children have friends their age, too. So while you may be well set for your own child’s 15th birthday or his Christmas gifts, his best friend may need to get a gift that your son doesn’t have the money to give yet. (After all, without a license, a job is sometimes tricky for a 15 year old to get and keep.) You will likely have plenty of cause for giving these gifts, and giving these possibilities a bit of forethought can save a lot of stress and money.
Important Features to Consider
A gift for a 15 year old boy should consider a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a gift for a 15 year old boy:
- Books and how-tos: A gift that helps them learn a skill or hot to accomplish one of life’s basic needs is especially helpful for a teenager because anything he hears from his parents is often immediately discarded. A book, by an outsider, will be much more likely to actually get through the teenager learning walls. This may mean books, so packaging this gift to a teen who isn’t keen on reading may be difficult. But if framed properly (IE, a cooking book right before summer break where he’ll need to fend for himself or a fantasy book series like his favorite video game with a card suggesting it for times when he’s grounded from said video game) may make the gift better received. And who knows? If you get a book on a topic he’s particularly nervous about – like graduation – his jitters may trump his distaste for reading.
- Food. It’s not a stereotype. You may think it is, but it’s not. Teen-aged boys eat their weight in food (or at least it seems like it). It is no joke though that the recommended caloric intake for a teen boy is higher than an adult. Depending on how active he is, he could require upwards of 4,000 calories every single day. So if it seems like they’re always eating, that’s why. In fact, if you ask a teen-aged boy what he wants for his birthday with a moderate price range, the answer will very likely be “Candy.” (We asked four, with the exact same response.) If you’re the parent, you can save yourself some money and buy his favorites and package it like a gift. And if you’re not the parent – save them money by doing the same. Because feeding a teen-aged boy (or heaven help you, multiple teen boys) can feel like they’re eating a family out of house and home!
- Gift cards. Generally, we don’t like recommending gift cards because they’re pretty impersonal. But even we have to be practical with this. The hormone switches in a teenager are nothing to be trifled with. If you don’t know the kid is absolutely going to like the gift you get him, you probably shouldn’t risk it. If you give him the wrong gift, it could annoy him, or if you give it in the wrong frame set, he could just roll his eyes and toss it when you’re not looking. But, he probably plays some sort of video game, so a gift card for that gaming console is a safe and well-loved bet.
- Tech accessories. Phones, tablets, and gaming consoles are a pretty common addiction for a teenager and the 15 year old you’re giving is probably no different. Rechargeable batteries for his game controller, or maybe a cell phone stand that will keep him from needing to hold it awkwardly as he falls asleep may be the best gift he gets all year. And, bonus! They probably won’t cost much. A gift idea that is often the unsung hero is the practical gift that you can give the 15 year old that makes his life easier. Because while you may not think his life is too terribly difficult, it’s all relative – it’s the hardest he’s ever lived, so why not make it a little easier?
- Games and toys. At his age, he’ll probably be shrinking away from the gift of toys – he definitely thinks he’s a grown up, now, even though he definitely isn’t. (That’s a stereotype we think is pretty universal.) So you’ll need to be careful with giving gifts that he may consider too “baby” for him. There are plenty of toy and game gifts that you can probably get away with and if you know the boy well enough, you’ll know those exceptions easily. Keep in mind, there are plenty of toys and games that you, as an adult, love. So you’ll probably be able to find some for him, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should you spend on a gift for a 15 year old boy?
How much you spend on a 15 year old boy is directly related to how close you are to him. If he’s your kid, you’re going to spend a lot more than if he’s friend of your kid’s or your friend’s kid. For the latter two scenarios, you can typically expect to spend $10-$15 and still get a gift that they’ll love. If you’re a preparing-type of person, you may be able to find a good sale and buy in advance to get the big gifts for less and look like a rock star while actually spending like the thrifty person you are. With your own kid, though, you’ll probably not be able to get away without spending more than you initially think. (We highly recommend setting a budget in advance to avoid this, by the way.) A teenage boy may not want a traditional party like he did when he was 8, but he may still want something bigger, like taking a couple friends to a theme park. Most children’s birthday parties run about $10-$20 per kid and around 10 kids at the party, so foregoing the party may end up saving you a fair amount and you can roll some of that over into the gifts. For your own teen, you can typically get by with spending about $150, depending on your kid, the occasion, and your finances.
No matter what the relation to you is, though, the birthday or holiday is not a reason to bankrupt yourself. So keep your own financial situation in mind when you set your budget. You’ll also need to factor in the type of occasion for which you’re buying. If it’s a birthday, then it will be just one kid you’re buying for, but a big holiday, like Christmas, you’re going to have to buy for several people and you may not be able to spoil him as well. Make sure you’re always considering all components when you’re determining how much to spend.
What can I get a 15 year old boy for his birthday?
If you don’t know what to get a specific 15 year old boy, then you’re not alone. Even if you know the teen well, even if he lives just down the hall, they can be hard to figure out sometimes. At 15, they are well into the “I don’t know” stage where the answer to everything seems to default with “I don’t know.” Fortunately, though they may be hard to figure out, there’s plenty who have done it before you. There are several options on our list that he’s sure to love. In the absence of having personal ideas that are catered to his specific interests, you should check out the universally loved gifts, or look into gift cards.
All of our list ideas are good options, but there are plenty of gifts that aren’t for sale that he’s going to love. Experiences are a great alternative to material gifts and if you know the teen well enough to identify what experiences he’ll most appreciate (a baseball game or the entry fee of a gaming tournament, maybe), then those will be the kind of thoughtful gifts he’ll look back on fondly for perhaps the rest of his life.
What should I get my 15 year old brother?
If your 15 year old brother is older, then maybe the best bet for what to get him should be asking your parents. Not only will they be able to help you identify gifts he’ll like, they may be able to help you find a gift he’ll like that won’t cost too much, either. (Who knows? They may even give you the money to give him a gift and that means you may be better able to get him something he really likes.) Beyond that, you can always offer to pick up his week’s chores for his birthday and we’re absolutely positive that would be appreciated.
We’re going to guess the vast majority of people asking this question though, are the older sibling. And in this case, there’s a fair chance the best gift you can give him is your time. Sometimes that looks like a bro-trip or a music festival and others it will be a less expensive dinner and movie. At 15, he can’t drive on his own, so you could even offer to play chauffeur for him and his friends. Games are a great idea to maintain sibling time and gifts that remind him of happy, shared childhood memories are an excellent idea to give him as he grows out of his childhood.
How can I choose the right gift for a 15 year old boy?
Just like no two people are the same, no 15 year old boy is the same as another. As such, you’re going to have to keep in mind the boy’s individual tastes when you’re picking a gift for him. You’ll want to consider his style if you choose to get him clothing or decor of any kind and that means paying attention to him and his room. Since his room is his sanctuary, there’s a good chance you can glean what you need to know by a peek into it. If you’re not comfortable or able to do this, don’t worry: there is no better way to get it out of him than to ask and keep asking. If he’s still not forthcoming you can ask his friends, parents, or siblings. If all else fails, go for the universally loved gifts. And for most teenage boys, candy is a pretty big win, too.
Other Gifts for a 15 Year Old Boy We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other gift ideas for 15 year old boys. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best gift ideas for a 15 year old boy list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for him. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Book Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
- Practical Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
- Tech Gift Ideas for a 15 Year Old Boy
Book Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
97 Things to Do Before You Finish High School
While he may not be that close to finishing high school, he’s close enough that it isn’t inappropriate to give him the gift of a bucket list.
- Paperback, Kindle and Library binding formats available
- 208 pages
- Beware: Some safe sex and legal partying content
How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way
For the artistically inclined, this book will teach him how to draw the characters from his favorite movies and comics.
- Library binding and Paperback format
- 192 pages
- Co-Written by Stan Lee
Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5 Book Paperback Boxed Set
If he needs a book series that is full of adventure and teaches a bit about classic mythology while he’s at it, these books will definitely keep him entertained.
- Hardcover, Paperback, and Audio CD formats available
- Complete 5 book series with new covers
- Bonus poster included
Teens Cook – How to Cook What You Want to Eat
There’s a good chance he’ll be responsible for his own meals from time to time by the age of 15, and this book may help him hone a skill he uses for his entire life.
- Library binding, Hardcover, and Paperback formats
- Recommended for grades 7 and up
- 160 pages
The Manual to Manhood – How to Cook the Perfect Steak, Change a Tire, Impress a Girl & 97 Other Skills You Need to Survive
This is a book that will help the boy in his journey into manhood and as he ages, he’ll use these skills more and more.
- Paperback, Audio CD, Audible, and Kindle formats
- 288 pages
- Designed to develop into confident and capable men
Practical Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
BIRDROCK HOME Adjustable 14-Position Memory Foam Floor Chair
If he’s going to play his video games for hours on end, this chair will at least keep him from bruising his tailbone while doing it.
- Made with chopped memory foam and soft plush
- 5 color options
- 14 adjustable positions
Popping this in his bedroom will go a long way in keeping him from lounging in bed all day as he surfs his phone, reads his book, or does his homework.
- 60 x 60 x 34 inches
- 30 color options
- Memory foam “beans” for maximum comfort
Cookies Chips & Candy Snacks Assortment Bulk Sampler by Variety Fun
Just be honest with yourself and him: this will be his favorite gift and he’ll have it eaten in less than a week.
- 40 individually wrapped snacks
- Ships in gift box
- Snacks loosely wrapped to prevent smashing
This definitely counts as a practical gift because movies are one thing 15 year old boys will always enjoy.
- Customize to any amount
- 18 design options
- Schedule delivery whenever you want
GoSports Cornhole PRO Regulation Size Bean Bag Toss Game Set
While tailgating may not mean the same activities for a teenager as it does a college kid or adult, there are still time-old traditions that he can partake in and corn hole is one of them.
- 3 style choices
- Composite MDF boards and aluminum frames
- Folds for easy transport
Marvel Legends Gear Captain America Shield Replica
This could be a perfect addition to a Halloween costume or a cosplay, or it could just be a pretty sweet decoration for his room – either way this is a must for any Captain America fan.
- 2 Adjustable arm straps
- 24″ Diameter
- Wipe clean with damp cloth
Tootsie Roll Assorted Frooties Candy (3 Lb)
Every teen has a favorite type of candy and if he’s a big fan of chewy sweets, then this bag is the right gift for him.
- 11 flavors included
- 3 size options
- Cavities not included, but implied
WEKAPO Inflatable Lounger Air Sofa Hammock
This is perfect for the outdoorsy teen and anyone who prefers sitting to standing.
- 6 color options
- No pump required, just whisk to inflate
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Tech Gift Ideas for 15 Year Old Boys
Accessories Kit for Nintendo Switch
If he’s a gamer, he will likely have a Nintendo Switch but high end accessories will make him all the better equipped to challenge his friends.
- Switch case and game storage included
- 2 switch wheels, 2 grips, 4 joy-con cases, and 4 caps
- Tempered glass screen protector soft case and controller charger
Canon IVY Mobile Mini Photo Printer through Bluetooth
This mini photo printer will convert a phone into an old-school Polaroid camera.
- 3 color options
- Printer only or paper packs available
- Prints 2″ x 3″ photos
Let’s just be honest, the Echo can answer questions that the kid’s parents just don’t want to and play music – so it’s a win for kid and for parents.
- Listing includes smart device add-ons
- 3 color options
- Amazon Alexa has over 50,000 skills
This is a pretty substantially-priced gift, so it will probably only be for your own kid, but if he considers himself in any way a gamer, this is a must-have.
- Includes detachable joy-cons for on-the-go play
- 1-2 players, linkable with up to 7 other Switches
- Parental controls
SENSO Bluetooth Wireless Headphones
In order to keep his music in his ears and no one else’s, these headphones will make that happen.
- 3 colors available
- Wireless up to 30 ft
- 9 hour battery life
SNAPTAIN S5C WiFi FPV Drone with 720P HD Camera
This drone will sync with an iPhone with an IOS 8.0 above or an Android 4.4 above, so as long as his phone meets these requirements, then he’ll be able to fly this drone while seeing what the drone sees.
- Smart voice control
- Compatible with VR headset
- 8-10 minutes flight time
This may be last on our list, but it may be the safest bet for a gifting win when we’re talking about a teenage boy.
- Key feature 1
- Works with Windows 10 PCs, tablets and phones, Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8, Xbox One and Xbox 360
- Digital code (no physical card sent)