When a child reaches a certain age, getting him gifts becomes more difficult. You can’t just buy a new stuffy each of his birthdays; you’ll need to get him a gift that he’d appreciate. By 10 years old, though, they’ve had an entire decade of gifts and getting them something new every year – multiple times a year, sometimes – gets more and more challenging. But don’t worry, while you will benefit from knowing the specific likes of the boy, you’re sure to find something on our list that’s perfect for him even if you don’t have a clue.
We reviewed dozens of gift ideas for 10 year old boys to identify the best of the best. We’ve picked books and other educational gifts as well as games and outdoor activities. We looked at toys and tech, finding the best things that will entertain any 10 year old boy no matter his interests.
Pretty early in our search for the best gift for a 10 year old boy, we found the Doinkit Darts – Magnetic Dart Board and we knew almost immediately it was the clear winner of our top pick spot. It’s an adventurous type of gift that will allow him to feel a bit more grown up than he is, but safe enough that it won’t hurt your walls or others.
In This Article
The 5 Top-Rated Gift Ideas for 10 Year Old Boys
|Best Overall||Doinkit Darts - Magnetic Dart Board||4.2|
|Runner Up||LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Expert Building Kit||4.8|
|Best Budget Buy||Trapped in a Video Game (Book 1)||4.7|
|Best Outdoor Gift for 10 Year Old Boys||Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket, 4 Rockets - Outdoor Rocket||4.2|
|Best Tech Gift for 10 Year Old Boys||ThinkFun Laser Maze (Class 1) Logic Game and STEM Toy||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Top Pick: Doinkit Darts – Magnetic Dart Board
The Doinkit Darts – Magnetic Dart Board has just a slightly smaller diameter compared to a standard dart board and yet only one notable difference: it’s magnetic. That means he won’t hurt anyone when he accidentally hit his brothers or the dog practicing his aim. And considering the walls will suffer no holes while he hones his skill, whoever pays the mortgage or rent at this boy’s home will certainly thank you.
And, while the entertainment he gets in the now is an excellent justification for this gift, it’s also nice to know that once he develops the skill, it will serve him well, probably his whole life. Tossing magnetic darts isn’t exactly the same as actual darts at a pub, but he should be able to translate the differences pretty quickly. And doing so means this one gift will give him a forever skill. (Now let’s just hope it doesn’t start a life of hustling at the pool hall.)
With over 1,000 customer reviews and an overall rating of 4.2 stars, you have every reason to assume this is a gift your 10 year old boy will love. And though it may not be the least expensive gift you can buy, at $30, it’s well worth the cost.
Doinkit Darts – Magnetic Dart Board Key Features:
- Darts are flexible and strong – safest available
- 2 sets of 3 magnetic darts
- 16″ Magnetic board
Our Runner Up Pick: LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Expert Building Kit
The LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Expert Building Kit will let your boy experience the same kind of ship in a bottle building that enthusiasts did hundreds of years ago. But as time has changed, so, too, has this hobby. Not only is it more practical, but it’s repeatable. While he may not want to disassemble it after he’s built it, he absolutely can and get the same repeatable results. Or, he could just tweak it with a few of his own personal touches.
This will be the perfect gift for your child (or friend’s child) if you want to do an activity together that you’ll both enjoy. There will be plenty of attention to detail needed and while the boy may want to do it all on his own, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to help. (And to fine tune your patience.)
If the creative potential isn’t enough to tempt you, though, maybe the rating for it will do the trick. There are well over 500 customer reviews for this LEGO set and they’ve awarded it an overall rating of 4.8 stars. That kind of rating with that many reviews is impressive to say the least!
LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle Expert Building Kit Key Features:
- 962 pieces to assemble
- Bottle is 3″H x 12″W x 3″D
- Display stand included
Best Budget Pick: Trapped in a Video Game (Book 1)
The book Trapped in a Video Game (Book 1) is the first in a series of books. If the boy for whom your buying likes reading, buying a book for him is probably a no brainer. But this kind of book can work for even the boy who doesn’t typically enjoy reading. Because the book details the hypothetical finer points of living inside a video game, your gamer kid can pick this up and still be immersed in the same style of play.
This may come in extra handy when he has to write a book report for school on his choice of book or for those traumatic times during which he is grounded from his gaming console. If he likes the book, all the better – it’s the first in a series so it may just plant the seeds for a love a reading as he picks up the next in the series and then the next.
Buying a book may just be the least expensive gift for a 10 year old that he still may enjoy. And this book probably has the best chance at being a loved gift. Not only is it under $5, but it has an overall rating of 4.7 stars on Amazon with over 300 customer reviews.
Trapped in a Video Game (Book 1) Key Features:
- Recommended reading level: 8-12 years
- First of series (5 in series)
- 137 pages; some illustration
Best Outdoor Gift for 10 Year Old Boys Pick: Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket, 4 Rockets – Outdoor Rocket
The Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket, 4 Rockets – Outdoor Rocket is a kid-powered rocket that will allow the child to launch a foam rocket into the air. Because of this, you’ll definitely want to use this toy exclusively outside. Although it is made of foam, even the softest rockets are still rockets and as such, can wreak a bit of havoc. In fact, you’ll want to go far away from the house or animals, because this rocket can launch up to 20 stories or 200 feet! And if that doesn’t impress (and challenge) your 10 year old, we don’t know what will.
The rocket is controlled by an air pump that will, once compressed, force air through a tube that is connected to the base of the rocket. The more force with which you compress the pump, the more force the air will shoot that rocket into the sky. Since the most force a 10 year old (or anyone) can muster will be by jumping on it, extra fun comes in the act of plopping on and sending that rocket up, up, and away.
With 4.2 stars on Amazon with over 2,300 customer reviews, there’s a lot of satisfied customers to have come back to Amazon and show their support for this gift. In fact, there’s no wondering why this is the #1 best seller for toy foam blasters and guns.
Stomp Rocket Ultra Rocket, 4 Rockets – Outdoor Rocket Key Features:
- Includes 4, foam tipped rockets
- Easy and fast assembly
- 100% kid-powered; No batteries required
Best Tech Gift for 10 Year Old Boys Pick: ThinkFun Laser Maze (Class 1) Logic Game and STEM Toy
The ThinkFun Laser Maze (Class 1) Logic Game and STEM Toy is a game that will help a person hone his problem solving skills with enough fun to slip it into his “toys” without him being any the wiser. He’ll just think, at most, he has a puzzle, but in reality you’ve given that boy an educational toy! *gasp* And won’t you be so proud to have tricked him into learning?
There are 60 card challenges that start relatively easy, allowing your boy to rise to the task, and as he progresses in difficulty, the more he’ll need to focus on how to finish the maze successfully. You may even find yourself struggling with the more difficult levels, so you will probably need to help or encourage a 10 year old. But once he completes a task, the pride will be worth the patience required to do so. (For you both!) And after he’s finished all the challenge cards, he’ll be able to build his own, so the fun will never end!
There are right around 1,500 customer reviews on Amazon earning this toy an overall rating of 4.5 stars. That’s certainly enough to tempt you and considering he’ll be able to use this, potentially forever, that’s probably enough to seal the deal for you.
ThinkFun Laser Maze (Class 1) Logic Game and STEM Toy Key Features:
- 5 x 5 grid game board and class 1 laser
- 60 beginner to expert challenges
- 3 STEM maze versions available
When to Buy a Gift for a 10 Year Old Boy
If you have a 10 year old boy to whom you are related, you’ll definitely be getting him a gift at some point during the year; depending on the relation maybe even multiple times a year. If he’s your son, then you’ll probably even be getting him several gifts, several times a year. His birthday will probably merit at least a few gifts, as will whatever holidays you celebrate. And with the world losing its collective mind showering our kids with gifts for every little holiday (and we are so, so very guilty), you will even need little gifts for the Easter Bunny to bring, and Cupid; even the Leprechaun on St. Patrick’s Day. Even if you don’t give gifts for every holiday (good restraint in this world), you will want the gifts you give to be well-loved and practical. Buying a gift with your specific 10 year old boy in mind is all the more important in this scenario and being careful with your choices will serve you and the boy well.
For these special occasions you may also want to find a 10 year old boy to give a gift. For those less fortunate who have no one to give them gifts, or whose parents cannot give them all they’d like to, or need, you may be able to help these kids in a a real, meaningful way. You can find these through several organizations, local or globally. Your local church may (seasonally) have Angel Trees that will provide anonymous children in need to whom you can provide.
Even if you have no children or nephews, you will still likely make friends who do have children at some point in your life. If you plan on supporting your friends and going to their children’s birthday parties, then you can’t go empty handed. Bringing a gift to these events is mandatory and there is only so much excitement a 10 year old boy can fake when he opens another card, with another gift card. Buying him a gift will earn you lot more good will for a boy about to enter his broody teen years.
Important Features to Consider
A gift for a 10 year old boy should have a few important features. Here’s what to consider when selecting a gift for a 10 year old boy:
- Hiding education. Once upon a time, you used to sneak veggies into his mac and cheese. Now it’s time you sneak some education into his games. You can find him STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mechanics) toys that won’t even have him batting an eye as he develops a love for engineering. Who knows? You may very well be the first experience he has with the field he revolutionizes as an adult! And for those who aren’t destined to be the next Neil deGrasse Tyson, at least he’ll develop enough enjoyment from his toys that he won’t completely shut off when he’s learning similar concepts in school.
- Cost. There does come a time in a child’s life when he won’t get the big gifts he used to get – not because he’s loved them less but because he will begin to have an opportunity to earn their gifts or pick out their gifts on their own. That may mean you’ll be spending more on a gift card, or it may mean that you disguise the cost you’re investing by getting a more practical gift. That can look like a book they’ll have interest in or you can restock him on baseballs if he’s more of a sports lover. You can find an inexpensive gift if you’ve spent a bit of time getting to know the boy, or you can take the easy route and give a gift card, allowing him to pick the gift for himself.
- Toys. 10 is often an awkward stage where children will start to request “big kid” gifts or no toys at all. But the reality is, there are still plenty of toys they’ll enjoy and while they may not ask for them, playing with them can help keep the kid a kid for just a bit longer. You don’t want to go against what he asks, but if you can subtly work in an age appropriate toy or two, there’s a good chance his parents (you, if you’re the parent) will be grateful. After all, he’ll grow up too fast as it is; let him be a kid.
- Multi-player toys and games. If your 10 year old has siblings he gets along well with, then a game or toy that requires interaction can be a wonderful gift idea. Similarly, if he has an active social life where he’s often spending time with kids his age, you can definitely help him spend that time constructively by finding a gift that he can use with them. However, you won’t want to disregard the more anti-social 10 year old by giving him a gift that requires friends or family play with him if he struggles with those relationships; for example, if he fights with his siblings, has none, or is more of a loner. For a multi-player game or toy you must know a bit about the kid for whom you’re buying and his social habits.
- Parental consent. There are some gifts you’ll need to check with the parents before getting. For a younger child, there’s an unspoken courtesy of asking before you get, say, a voice changing megaphone for a friend’s child. For a 10 year old, that etiquette changes to mean more like talking it over with the parent before picking a gift that will allow their child interact online. (Say, a video game that has chat enabled.)
Frequently Asked Questions
How much should you spend on a gift for a 10 year old boy?
You have to consider your own finances when you’re planning to purchase a gift for a 10 year old, just as with any age. You may want to spend a fortune, but are just not able to – so don’t. Don’t rack up credit card debt to make all the kid’s dreams come true on his birthday. If you can afford it, $25 is generally considered the sweet spot for how much you should spend on a child that isn’t your own. Your relationship to the child creates a huge range, though. A friend of your child, for example, will be perfect in that $25 ballpark, while one of your neighbor’s children may justify a bit less. For the child of a close friend of your’s, etiquette says you can spend up to $100. (Again, as your finances allow.)
For your own children’s birthday, you can generally anticipate a $100 budget getting him all you want to give with a good variety of fun and practical gifts. Despite this being more than acceptable and sufficient, the average parent actually spends about $400 on each of their children’s birthday parties. That includes gifts as well as the party essentials, though. We would hazard a guess that after you calculate the food and decorations, your budget isn’t that far off for your kid, either.
What can I get a 10 year old boy for his birthday?
The most important component of the formula in finding the best gift for a 10 year old is undoubtedly how well you know him. If you know him well, you’ll be better able to give him a special gift confident he’ll love it. If, however, you don’t know him, it may be best to stick with more “universally loved” gifts – and that means well-rated gifts with a ton of reviews. We’ve included loads of those in our list, since we don’t know your specific 10 year old little buddy. So after a good look at our list, you’ll probably have a few ideas for him.
If, after reading our choices, you’re still not sure what to get him, consider a few nontraditional gift ideas. You can take him somewhere and let him pick out his own gift within a budget – that will make you more a part of his experience than a gift card would and therefore be a more enjoyable experience for you both. You could also look into local events and see if there’s something he’d like to experience with you or with his friends. You can even offer to chaperone an outing that isn’t a normal occurrence (like, taking his friends to a movie).
What should I get my 10 year old brother?
For family member, especially siblings, gifts aren’t always about physical items. For a 10 year old, he’s probably feeling a bit stuck between kid and adult and his birthday (or other gift-giving occasion) is an opportunity to make him forget all that. You can opt for an experience rather than a gift – particularly if you have a good relationship with him. He may better appreciate going to a concert with you or a day trip somewhere fun nearby than a new game. Plus, if you have a little brother, there’s a good chance the best gift you can give him is treating him like a peer. Take him someplace that you would enjoy, too. (Within reason, of course – you can’t take him to a bar, if that’s your scene, obviously.)
All of the items on our list would probably still work, no matter your relationship, though so if you and your bro don’t get along, maybe stick to those material things. If you want to improve that relationship, though, maybe get one of the games or toys that require more than one person and enjoy it with him.
How can I choose the right gift for a 10 year old boy?
If you want to steer clear of generic gifts that are overall universally loved, then you have no other choice but to take a moment to really consider the 10 year old as an individual. You can think of his style and pick an item of clothing for him, if that’s his jam. When the kid worships a video game, maybe buying credits on the game is the best bet for him. If you don’t know these little details, ask someone who does: his parents, siblings, friends. There’s a good chance they’ll be able to give you a clue. You’ll get vague responses, probably; things like: “He loves art” or “He’s an intense sports fan!” and “He’s obsessed with science!” But that will be plenty for you to start your search. You can accidentally stumble on his favorite gift, just by searching for the best reviewed gift in one of those categories. (And we just so happen to have a little of everything on our list.)
Other Gifts for a 10 Year Old Boy We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other gifts for a 10 year old boy. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best gifts for 10 year old boys list, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for the 10 year old in your life. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing. We’ve grouped them into the following categories to make it easier on you:
- Book Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
- Creative Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
- Sports Related Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
- Toy Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
Book Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
We love the idea of giving this with a card that says “An adult-approved way to destroy your parent’s house.”
- Photos and illustrations to guide
- Hardback or paperback
- 120 Pages
If he has any interest in reading or mystery, (or just needs books to choose from for his homework) what could be better than the classic Hardy Boys?
- Kindly, Hardback, or Paperback editions
- Includes books 1 – 5
- 53 additional titles available in the series
For the kid who can’t get himself to stop asking questions, there’s a wonderful solution to that: let him learn the most interesting parts of the world he lives in on his own!
- 224 pages
- Hardback or paperback available
- Recommended for grade 3-7
Isn’t it a rule that if you put the word “Dangerous” in a title that the boy will like it? This book will be your boys guide into essential boy skills like fishing, compass navigation, building tree houses and so much more.
- Available in hardback, paperback, kindle, Audible, or audio CD
- 288 pages
- Soon to be Amazon Prime Original TV Series
For a lot of school districts, 10 is the last year before they enter middle school (or intermediate school, or junior high). A manual for how to navigate this big adjustment is a must-have to calm his jitters.
- Kindle and paperback available
- Advises how to deal with bullies, homework load, gossip, and so much more!
- 224 pages
Creative Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
He’ll be able to bring life to plenty of his imaginations with this high precision, 3D pen.
- 2 color plastic filaments
- Rechargeable with USB and A/C adapter
- Temperature and material flow control for maximum customization
As winter approaches each year, it becomes increasingly more difficult to get a boy to wear gloves. We’ll take any trick we can!
- 8 batteries included; 4 installed and 4 replacements
- 7 colors available
- Child sized
There are only 56-puzzle pieces, so this may be ideal for a child struggling with his attention span, but once assembled, it’ll be a nice addition to his room’s decor in which he can take pride.
- 56 piece puzzle
- Level 3 difficulty (may require assistance)
- Includes marble egg
This is the perfect gift for a boy who loves photography and documenting his adventures.
- 2 color options
- 1.5 hour, continuous use battery life
- 1-year warranty
This gift will give a little science education and a little creation satisfaction; but a lot of enjoyment for the right 10 year old.
- Display illuminates crystals with LED lights
- Creates 3 crystals: red, blue, and clear
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
This “night light” can give him the excuse of looking at stars so he doesn’t have to admit to his aversion to the dark.
- Auto-shut off
- Star projector or nightlight mode
- 8 color options
Sports Related Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
10 may be too young to have a phone in your house; so to avoid that constant battle, a long range walkie talkie is a practical compromise.
- Up to 5 mile range
- 2.5 hours for full charge
- Battery life: 8-96 hours
If he needs to work on his soccer game, but doesn’t have the space for a proper set up, this is a great way to get the practice without the travel to a field.
- Air soccer ball for indoor use, inflatable soccer ball for outdoor use
- 2 small soccer nets included
- Air soccer requires 4 AA batteries (not included)
If your little guy doesn’t have the neighborhood friends to put this to use, we strongly encourage you getting involved and playing with him. It really will be more fun than you’re expecting.
- Play teams or every man for himself
- 4 gun settings: pistol, shotgun, sub-machine gun, and rocket
- Reaches up to 130 ft
If he has a love (or potential love) of archery but you have a love of no one getting hurt, these foam tipped arrows are an excellent alternative to a real bow and arrow set.
- 3 foam-tipped arrows included
- Arrow quiver clips to bow limbs
- Shoots over 200 ft
He’ll be able to play this game with 1 or 3 of his buddies and to keep the ball from touching the ground, they’ll need to toss and spike it using the net.
- 3 balls and adjustable net for optimal customization
- Folding legs for portability
- Storage bag included
Toy Gifts for 10 Year Old Boys
A good remote controlled car is, and probably always will be, a wonderful gift for a 10 year old boy.
- Wall and floor racing modes
- 360 degree rotation for stunts
- Rechargeable with USB plug
This miniature drone will let your 10 year old venture into flying remotely and the lights will make it all the more fun to do at night. (And harder to lose in the trees!)
- 2 rechargeable batteries
- 18 minutes of continuous use battery life
- 5.5″ x 5.5″
If your kid knows he loves flying drones and wants to see exactly what his drone does, there’s an app for that with this drone and camera set.
- Remotely controlled with joysticks
- For beginners or experts
- Wi-Fi camera connects to your phone
This is an adventurous journey into robotics that will cause any STEM career ambitions to bloom. (And if none exist, this will still be good fun for the kid.)
- Rechargeable robot, remote batteries not included
- Gesture and remote controlled
- 2 color options